[gdal-dev] read a catalog is slower then directly the raster ?

Dmitry Baryshnikov polimax at mail.ru
Tue Jan 31 09:14:51 EST 2012

31.01.2012 16:54, Andrea Peri ?????:
> Hi,
> using qgis I notice that it is more slow to open some raster from a
> catalog.vrt rather than opening the same raster directly.
> The slow is so big that when the catalog has many raster qgis take
> many time to open the catalog.
>
> Because qgis use gdal to read raster and also to read a catalog.
> I guess this is not an issue for qgis. But is a question of gdal.
>
> Before to start to do some test I like to know if there is some know
> issue on this.
>
> Thx,
>
> --
> -----------------
> Andrea Peri
> qwerty àèìòù
I think this bug are mentioned in such tickets
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2076 and
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3482
QGIS more slow because it warp image (if it from VRT or have some
rotation in meta and etc.) and have no overviews. You can see if image
is warped in layer properties metadata tab -> driver.

Best regards,
     Dmitry