[gdal-dev] Tiling aerial photos

Paul Meems (Top-X) p.meems at topx-group.nl
Thu Jul 12 04:11:17 PDT 2012

Thanks Dmitry and Even,

The aerial photos are north-up and are in the same projection and I think
also in the same resolution.
It are commercial aerial photos.

The Correlator project sounds very interesting but not necessary in my case.
I'll try to implement the VRT format and see what the performance will be.
If it is fast we don't need to tile.

Thanks,

Paul

2012/7/12 Even Rouault <even.rouault at mines-paris.org>
Selon "Paul Meems (Top-X)" <p.meems at topx-group.nl>:

> Thanks Even,
>
> http://www.gdal.org/gdalbuildvrt.html does seems very interesting.
> As I understand it, it will do the merging part (without actually
merging).

The VRT driver will do on-the-fly merging of tiles that have overlapping.
The
VRT itself is just a XML file.

> But it doesn't do the tiling part, right?

No, I wasn't sure if your photos were already regularly tiled or not. Note
that
the VRT accepts non regularly tiled images. They can have overlapping, gaps,
different resolutions, etc. The main constraints are :
- they are in the same projection
- they are "north-up", that is to say there is no rotation or skewing term
in
their geotransform matrix
- they have the same number of bands

> Or is the vrt so optimized tiling
> is no longer necessary?

Not necessary. Note that the VRT has no internal spatial indexing, so if you
have several dozains of thousands of images in a VRT, it might slow down
because
it will iterate over all the image descriptions (without needing to open
them
however, all the information is in the VRT) to see if they intersect with
the
request window. But I'd expect the number of images in the VRT to be really
high
for that effect to become noticeable.