[gdal-dev] Tiling aerial photos

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Jul 12 07:16:02 PDT 2012

Selon "Paul Meems (Top-X)" <p.meems at topx-group.nl>:

> One more related question.
> It seems using the VRT format is the way to go.
>
> Of course I can make a wrapper around the executable and create a VRT like
> that.
> I can also add the functionality to the MapWindow ActiveX control, it is
> already using GDAL for lots of other stuff.
> Is gdalbuildvrt.exe easily included in another application or should I
> stick with the executable?

If you don't want to call gdalbuildvrt, embedding its source code into your app
should be doable. It just uses the public API of GDAL to do 99% of its job. It
is just r20960 that introduced a dependency on the C++ VRTDataset class for the
advanced functionnality of handling mask bands. You could remove it if you want
to stick to the C API only.

> Does anybody know how QGis is doing it?

QGIS will just manipulate the VRT as any other GDAL raster format, without
knowing it is a VRT. And for VRT creation, the GDALTools plugin will call
gdalbuildvrt.