[gdal-dev] Warp API / gdalwarp: using projection supported by PROJ4, but not explicitly by GDAL?

Martin Lambers marlam at marlam.de
Fri Jul 13 02:00:32 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the GDAL Warp API and the gdalwarp utility.

I have added a new projection to PROJ4 (ticket #179), and would like
to use it with GDAL Warp.

For this purpose, I use the string
"+proj=qsc +a=6378137.0 +b=6356752.314245 +lat_0=90 +lon_0=0 +units=m"
as an argument to the -t_srs option of gdalwarp, and also to
OGRSpatialReference::importFromProj4() for passing the result to the
Warp API.

However, this requires explicit support for the projection not just in
PROJ4, but also in GDAL. I currently use the attached patch to add
that support, but is there a way to avoid patching GDAL for this
purpose?

Best regards,
Martin