[gdal-dev] gdalbuildvrt problem with heterogenous band characteristics

Casper Børgesen (CABO) CABO at NIRAS.DK
Mon Jul 30 10:31:05 PDT 2012

Hi!

I'm trying to create a VRT file from 4 GeoTIFFs using gdalbuildvrt. Three of the GeoTIFFs are created using OrthoVista and the last one created with an earlier version of the same program. When I run gdalbuildvrt I get the following error message when I try to add the file created by the early version:

Warning 6: gdalbuildvrt does not support heterogenous band characteristics. Skipping...

Running gdalinfo on the 4 files I see only a difference in the metadata section (and of course in the coordinates).
In the following is the band information from two of the files:

[From new version]
Band 1 Block=6250x20 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
  Overviews: 1024x1024
Band 2 Block=6250x20 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
  Overviews: 1024x1024
Band 3 Block=6250x20 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue
  Overviews: 1024x1024
Band 4 Block=6250x20 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Undefined
  Overviews: 1024x1024

[From earlier version]
Band 1 Block=6250x20 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
  Overviews: 1024x1024
Band 2 Block=6250x20 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
  Overviews: 1024x1024
Band 3 Block=6250x20 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue
  Overviews: 1024x1024
Band 4 Block=6250x20 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Undefined
  Overviews: 1024x1024

To me they seem identical and I can display them both using QGis 1.8. I guess that the difference is deeper inside the TIFFs than gdalinfo informs me about - what can I do to avoid this problem?

Regards Casper