[gdal-dev] How to concatenate with newlines by using OGR SQL?

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 02:13:34 PDT 2012

Jukka,

This should work:

ogr2ogr -f gpx test.gpx finland.osm.pbf -sql ^
*More? *"select name,CONCAT(addr_street,'^
*More? *
*More? *',addr_housenumber) as 'desc' from points where amenity='toilets'"

Note that the "More? " part is given by DOS. By giving ^ at the end of line
you are saying that there is more stuff to come. If you simply press
'return' when it prompts for more, it will treat it as a newline char and
ask for more one more time.

DOS treats ^ as a quote character.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Rahkonen Jukka
<Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi>wrote:

>  Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> Sorry, I forgot to tell that I am on Windows.  “$’\n’” looks so gurutic
> that I feel jealous. I hope I will never need to teach anybody to use it at
> work, though J****
>
> ** **
>
> -Jukka-****
>
> ** **
>
> Chaitanya kumar wrote:****
>
> ** **
>
> Jukka,
>
> You can try to pass the newline character directly from the command line.
> With bash, you can use $'\n'. In your case it will be like this:
>
> ogr2ogr -f gpx test.gpx finland.osm.pbf
> -sql "select name,CONCAT(addr_street,"$'\n'",addr_housenumber)
> as 'desc' from points where amenity='toilets'"****
>
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Jukka Rahkonen <
> jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi> wrote:****
>
> Hi,
>
> I was playing with the new OSM driver and tried to transfer some
> POI features into my GPS. It goes well by using GPX format in
> between. However, I have a little problem. My GPS supports multiline
> descriptions but I do not know how to insert newlines into the
> output of ogr2ogr. The following command adds a space character
> between addr_street and addr_housenumber, but is is somehow possible
> to insert newline instead?
>
> ogr2ogr -f gpx test.gpx finland.osm.pbf
> -sql "select name,CONCAT(addr_street,' ',addr_housenumber)
> as 'desc' from points where amenity='toilets'"
>
> I made two blind trials as
> CONCAT(addr_street,\n,addr_housenumber) which gives parsing error and
> CONCAT(addr_street,'\n',addr_housenumber) which adds string \n literally.
>
> -Jukka Rahkonen-

> --
> Best regards,
> Chaitanya kumar CH.