[gdal-dev] Using Java bindings of GDAL library : UnsatisfiedLinkError

Kedar Deshpande kedardeshpande87 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 18:54:19 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am writing a simple program to read a shapefile in Java on my linux
machine using the gdal library's Java bindings.

I followed the steps according to the link
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GdalOgrInJavaBuildInstructionsUnix given on
the GDAL library's site.

In the gdal folder in gdal/swig/java, I made changes in java.opt and the
ran 'make' command.
Then I wrote a simple program under /apps folder as :

package apps;

import org.gdal.ogr.DataSource;
import org.gdal.ogr.ogr;

public class TestClass {

ogr.RegisterAll();
}
}

and ran it as

javac apps/TestClass.java
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:`pwd`
java -classpath `pwd`/gdal.jar:`pwd`:`pwd`/apps TestClass

but I am getting UnsatisfiedLinkError after running it.

Native library load failed.
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ogrjni in java.library.path
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
org.gdal.ogr.ogrJNI.RegisterAll()V
	at org.gdal.ogr.ogrJNI.RegisterAll(Native Method)
	at org.gdal.ogr.ogr.RegisterAll(ogr.java:110)
	at apps.TestClass.main(TestClass.java:9)

Is there anything I am missing in this configuration?

I have the libgdal.la library files in my PATH env variable. (I am
running it on RHEL5)

Can some please let me know how do I get rid of this exception and
make it link to the library?

Thanks,

Kedar