[gdal-dev] Reading a NetCDF file with python (not recognised as a supported dataset name

Rutger kassies at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 00:16:06 PDT 2012

Hey,

Etienne Tourigny-3 wrote

> did you install the gdal-python package? Your gdal python is probably
> referencing an older gdal build which does not include netcdf support.
>
> There most probably is something wrong with your installation, because
> I can read both files fine in osgeo4w with gdal-1.9.1 - 32 bits
>
> By any chance, are you running a 64-bit windows?

I have tried it now on three different machines.
1. XP Win32, Python 2.7.3, GDAL 1.9.1
2. XP Win32, Python 2.7.2, GDAL 1.9.1
3. XP Win64, Python 2.7.3, GDAL 1.9.0

All installations are made with the builds from Tamas, i installed both the
'GDAL core' and the Python bindings, for example:
GDAL-1.9.0.win32-py2.7.msi
gdal-19-1500-core.msi

For the first machine i tried it both in the OSGeo4W shell and the standard
Python command line. The result is always like this:
/Python 2.7.2 (default, Jun 12 2011, 15:08:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32
>>> import gdal
>>> print('gdal version:'+gdal.VersionInfo())
gdal version:1910
>>> driver = gdal.GetDriverByName('netCDF')
>>> print driver
None
>>> driver = gdal.GetDriverByName('GTiff')
>>> print driver
<osgeo.gdal.Driver; proxy of <Swig Object of type 'GDALDriverShadow *' at
0x00D68140> >
>>>/

Im certainly using a recent gdal build, and as mentioned the command line
utilities have the netCDF driver correctly working. Ideed something is
probably wrong with my setup,
It would be interesting if anyone else using the Windows builds from Tamas
can give the above commands a try.
I always pick the name of the driver from the 'code' column on the GDAL
formats page, i assume this is the right way to do.

Regards,
Rutger