[gdal-dev] reproject python numpy binary swath/lat/lon

Rutger kassies at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 02:08:21 PDT 2012

Hello David,

A while back i did some tests with GDAL geolocation arrays using MODIS swath
data. I found that specifying the "s_srs" tag when running gdalwarp gets rid
of the 'too many points' error, even if you already have a SRS in your VRT.
If you use gdalwarp, your target grid can be completely described by the
-t_srs -tr and -t switches. The Python equivalent of these are the
dataset.SetProjection() and dataset.SetGeoTransform(). Getting the input SRS
from only the coordinate values seems impossible to me, the SRS should be
either read from some metadata or specified by the user.

For me the geolocation arrays worked technically well, and very convenient.
However. i found the resulting image quality very disappointing (for my
specific MODIS case) compared to MRTswath and Pyresample. This might be due
to the irregular coordinate grids as a result of the swiping image sensor or
something like that. Maybe in different cases it would give good quality
results.

I ended up using the Pyresample module which is part from the Pytroll
project. See:
http://pytroll.org/index.html http://pytroll.org/index.html
This worked great for my case.

Regards,