[gdal-dev] What about adding a "-b" band parameter to gdal_merge ?

Matthieu Rigal rigal at rapideye.net
Thu Jun 14 05:41:02 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I just came accross one possibility that I was missing. It is a bit the
complement of the "-separate" that was introduced in v. 1.9.0.
Why is there actually no "-b" option in gdal_merge ?

I have the case of a bunch of 5 bands images that I want to merge into one
single file but only for one band. The "-b" parameter would have been
perfect. Is it something that may be implemented/added in the future ?

For now, I am creating virtual rasters and I am then merging them or I
generate the 5 bands and then use gdal_translate, but it is more time and
space consuming.

Regards,
Matthieu Rigal

RapidEye AG
Molkenmarkt 30
14776 Brandenburg an der Havel
Germany

Follow us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/rapideye_global

Head Office/Sitz der Gesellschaft: Brandenburg an der Havel
Management Board/Vorstand: Ryan Johnson
Chairman of Supervisory Board/Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates:
Robert Johnson
Commercial Register/Handelsregister Potsdam HRB 24742 P
Tax Number/Steuernummer: 048/100/00320
VAT-Ident-Number/Ust.-ID: DE 815303842
DIN EN ISO 9001 certified