[gdal-dev] Cannot read NetCDF subdatasets

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 03:53:34 PDT 2012

That file does not use the "bigfile" flag, but it is probably a
netcdf-4 file (with hdf5 storage).

Regardless, "bigfiles" are supported since gdal-1.9.0 on 32-bit platforms.

I would guess your netcdf and gdal installation do not have netcdf-4 support.
And probably a 'gdalinfo <file>' shows the hdf5 driver picks it up, right?

You can check your netcdf-4 suppport with

1)
$nc-config --all
(check for nc-4)
  --has-nc4   -> yes
  --has-hdf5  -> yes

2)
$ ncdump -k <file>
netCDF-4
$ ncdump <file>

3) gdalinfo --format netcdf

you should see:
<CreationOptionList>
  <Option name="FORMAT" type="string-select" default="NC">
    <Value>NC</Value>
    <Value>NC2</Value>
    <Value>NC4</Value>
    <Value>NC4C</Value>
  </Option>

If it is supported, could you share an example file?

Etienne