[gdal-dev] encoding problem when convert S57 to shapefile under linux

ElPer K.Digeser at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 07:14:43 PDT 2012

Hello,

I have an encoding problem with the DEPARE layer when I convert S57 files to
shapefiles on a linux system wich environment language is german.
In my java rcp program I use ogr2ogr to convert S57 files to shapefiles.
Under windows I haven't any problems, but when I try it on a linux system
the DEPARE layer isn't visible.
Now I found out that the .dbf file under my linux system is different
because ogr use the environment variable LANG to encoding which is
/de_DE.UTF-8/ on the system and make  instead of a point a comma. So the
mapserver can't interpret it correctly and show a white area.
I just tried different things to change the language like:

* gdal.SetConfigOption("LANG", "en_US.UTF-8") in the code
* gdal.SetConfigOption("PGCLIENTENCODING", "en_US.UTF-8") in the code
* change System environment in the code
* use -nl en_US.UTF8 in Program arguments
* use -Duser.language in  Program arguments

but nothing help.
I hope somebody can help me

ElPer