[gdal-dev] Re: PDF selective layer sample wanted

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Mar 5 15:33:19 EST 2012

Le lundi 05 mars 2012 15:59:57, Jukka Rahkonen a écrit :
> Brent Fraser <bfraser <at> geoanalytic.com> writes:
> > If you're looking for a geospatial pdf with layers, the Canadian
> > government publishes some of their topographic maps as pdf.  Here's

> > link to one:
> >
> > ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/cantopo/50k_geopdf/085/
>
> b/cantopo_085b14_geopdf.zip
>
> Thanks for the answer. I do already have geospatial pdf files with layers.
> What I am after is geospatial pdf files with layers and created with GDAL.
> I can now make pdf files with layers with SkyJUMP GIS and geospatial pdf
> files with GDAL but I got hungry and want them both together.

There's no support for generating PDF layers in the GDAL or MapServer drivers.
Could be perhaps be done in GDAL, but it is not obvious which GDAL concept
would map to a PDF layer. As far as MapServer Cairo/PDF driver is concerned,
this is not technically feasable (without rewriting a new MapServer backend) :
the PDF code is generated by Cairo and, AFAIK, Cairo PDF backend doesn't
support layers.