[gdal-dev] GDALOpen failed on GRC grid

mladen-g at distributel.net mladen-g at distributel.net
Tue Mar 13 12:13:28 EDT 2012

Hello all,

I'm experiencing an error when trying to open a GRC grid (Northwood
VerticalMapper Classified Grid) with gdal_translate.  The command and
error is:

C:\>gdal_translate -of vrt
"C:\temp\ClassficationGrid-UK-Technologies_1.grc"
"C:\temp\ClassficationGrid-UK-Technologies_1.vrt"
ERROR 4: `C:\temp\ClassficationGrid-UK-Technologies_1.grc' not
recognised as a supported file format.

GDALOpen failed - 4

This seems like it could be a problem with the file, but I can open it
in MapInfo, as well as Global Mapper 13, so I think the file is OK.

Is there a way to explicitly specify to gdal_translate the format of
the input file?  I don't see an option for this in the list of command
line switches.

I put the .grc/.tab file pair in a zip (~5.3 Mb) at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53500018/GdalOpenFailedGrid.zip if it helps.
This is in version 1.9.0 of GDAL, by the way.

Regards,
Mladen