[gdal-dev] Contrast, Brightness and Gamma

Saâd HESSANE saad.hessane at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:55:02 EDT 2012

Hi list,

I use gdal_translate to convert 16bits images to 8bits images. The
gdal_translate have the -scale argument to specify the convertion range
(source->destination).
If I change the destination range (dst_min and dst_max), I can do manually
a brightness correction (also a contrast correction).

But is there any way to do that with a Photoshop like method?
For example set a brightness to -50, a contrast to +8 and let
gdal_translate do the job ?

Also can I apply a gamma correction?

I saw the VRT format and there's a way to apply a LUT. But I don't think a
LUT of 65536 values is the best way to apply the correction.

Also the VRT have the scale ratio and scale offset elements. I think it can
be useful but I don't understand how use it...

So simply put, my question : can I do a contrast, brightness or gamma
correction to a raster with gdal?

Thank you !

PS : I apologize for my broken English !