[gdal-dev] possible to take this unprojected/unknown coordinate system data and assign it to the second known ones projected/coordinate system

jdmorgan jdmorgan at unca.edu
Tue Mar 27 14:20:30 EDT 2012

Hello,

I was hoping someone in the GDAL community could help me out, as I am
stuck on a particular issue of dealing with a source dataset (geotiff)
that has no projection information.Here are the gdalinfo results on the
coordinate system:

Coordinate System is:

/LOCAL_CS[" Geocoding information not available Projection Name =
Unknown Units = other GeoTIFF Units = other",/

/UNIT["unknown",1]]/

/Origin = (-34.100006100000002,28.599823000000001)/

/Pixel Size = (0.439998627000000,-0.439998627000000)/

//

I do know if data is representing the continental USA.And, I want to get
it into a projection/coordinate system so that I can overlay it with
another dataset which already has a coordinate systems and is projected.
Is it possible to take this unprojected/unknown coordinate system data
and assign it to the second known ones projected/coordinate system?
Hopfully, this question makes sense, and someone can tell me if what I
am trying to do is even possible.

Thanks,
Derek

--