[gdal-dev] MDB tools

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Wed Mar 28 09:57:52 EDT 2012

Hi All,

I am trying to find a way to list the data type of each field in all
tables in a GeoMedia MDB databse.

I tried ogrinfo mdbname and got:  ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!

so, sudo apt-get install mdbtools, and tried again and got same error.

so, sudo apt-get install gdal-bin and that gave me a newer version than
that I did have.
Interestingly apt-get returned:    Setting up gdal-bin
(1.9.0-1~exp5~lucid4) ...... etc etc
but afterwards:  ogrinfo --version still returns GDAL 1.8.1, released
2011/07/09

Anyway, still no avail:

> zls at gs0:~/q4x$ ogrinfo SSC_WC_Q43.mdb
> ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!
>
> Warning 1: Unable to install MDB driver for ODBC, MDB access may not
> supported.
>
> ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for
> DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=SSC_WC_Q43.mdb,
> [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
> driver specified
> ERROR 1: PGeo: MDB Tools driver not found!
>
> Warning 1: Unable to install MDB driver for ODBC, MDB access may not
> supported.
>
> ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for
> DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=SSC_WC_Q43.mdb,
> [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
> driver specified
> FAILURE:
> Unable to open datasource `SSC_WC_Q43.mdb' with the following drivers.
>   -> ESRI Shapefile
>   -> MapInfo File
>   -> UK .NTF   [etc tec]

I then removed the packages and reinstalled them using synaptic, only to
get errors regarding no gdalinfo in /usr/local/bin, even though which
gdalinfo returns /usr/bin/gdalinfo (without the 'local')

Can anyone spot my deliberate mistake?
Will ogrinfo be able to give me the schema printout that I want, or is
there a better way?
(I am not an Access user)

Thanks in advance,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323www.geograph.co.za