[gdal-dev] Re: TiffAppendToStrip errors with uncompressed output

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Tue May 8 19:13:15 EDT 2012

Jukka

I downloaded and converted your test VRT file to a single Geotiff
without any problems - on Linux... Conversion took a few minutes on a
fast server.

Just a guess, but in my opinion this problem is related to the limited
memory handling capabilities of Windows. It does not seem to be a
shortage of total memory but more a sort of memory "fragmentation".
Windows is not able to provide a contiguous block of memory that is
required by some software in some cases. Some time ago a colleague had
this type of problem when working with IDL scripts, it worked fine on
Linux or Mac OS, never on Windows with larger datasets.

On Windows, working with large datasets and gdal (especially compressed
and VRT) or allowing gdal_translate to use more memory via GDAL_CACHEMAX
config, caused always problems for me. So I stopped trying this... On
Linux I can easily work with VRT files that reference several 100's of
GB. There on Linux however, higher settings for GDAL_CACHEMAX were
speeding up conversions noticeably when working with lots of tiles,
especially when they were compressed Tiffs.

So I can just recommend, if feasible, to try out Linux or any type of
Unix for your processing and see if the problem disappears.

Greetings
Armin