[gdal-dev] troubles building trunk on OSX + Xcode 4.3

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed May 16 09:50:33 EDT 2012

On May 16, 2012, at 6:03 AM, J Luis wrote:

> From it's placement in the above and a vague memory of the old ecw builds, I suspect the carbon part comes from ECW.  those separate libNCEcw* libraries are an old way of building ECW, the newer method builds as a single libecwj2.  ECW is a PITA to compile on OSX (my notes still leave some unsolved problems).
>
> Yes, you are right. I built --with-ecw=no and that part disappeared. I use this old one because (if I remember well) its license terms are much liberal, and because it works as I have it.

The same version also has the single libecwj2 build option.  See my build instructions on my site.

>  But for the error, it maybe because it's using the wrong command to link - this is C++, and that's where the new() op is from.  Normally, the easy way to link is use g++, which automatically links the necessary C++ library.  But your link command is using gcc, which would need the C++ library linked in manually.  This is odd because libtool is passed g++, but ends up using gcc.  Did you update libtool in your GDAL source?
>

> I didn't mentioned explicitly but I did a svn update so the code should be very close to what's in 1.9.1rc
> Anyone building the release candidate on OSX with XCode 4.3.2 successfully?
>
> Joaquim

1.9.1rc compiles with no problems (quick-n-dirty, no extras).

I just noticed something else, but I don't know if it's a problem - your libtool command has a "--tag=LD" flag in it, mine doesn't not.  You also get that message about ignoring unknown tag, and I wonder if it somehow confuses libtool so that it drops the g++.  What is your configure command?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe