[gdal-dev] EPSG PCS/GCS code 5171 not found

Billy Newman newmanw10 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:52:56 EDT 2012

When I run gdalinfo or gdalwarp on a tiff that is a one band image
with elevation data I get the following warning:

EPSG PCS/GCS code 5171 not found in EPSG support files.

I have GDAL_DATA set to /usr/local/share/gdal which I verified has the
data.  However looking at the supporting data files in that directory
it looks like 5171 is probably a VCS.

I would like to use gdalwarp to warp to EPSG:4326 but I am not sure
what gdalwarp is going to do with that, i.e. am I going to lose
information.  Note: gdalwarp also throws the same warning message.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,
Billy