[gdal-dev] Effeciency of "ReadRaster" in different storage format of mulit-band image

hitweiran hitweiran at sina.com
Thu May 17 03:01:32 EDT 2012

Hello, everyone.
There are two methods to extract data from a mulit-band remote sensing image
in GDAL.
1. Dataset.ReadRatser, that can read all data in mulit-band image.
2. Band.ReadRaster, that can read only one band of mulit-band image.
Actually, there are three formats used to storage mulit-band image, BIL
(Band Interleaved by Line format),BIP(Band Interleaved by Pixel format) and
BSQ(Band Sequential format).
Based on my test , the runtime of read whole mulit-band data is quite
sensitive to the format of mulit-band image.
For example, when I used "Band.ReadRatser" to read mulit-band image band by
band. The total runtime is 285.93s, 13.48s and 19.51s for BIL, BSQ and BIP
respectively; (the size of image: width*height*bands=501*1004*125). BSQ
formate is the most effective.  However, the actual data can be storaged in
any format, so,how can I solve this problem?