[gdal-dev] troubles with OVERRIDE_PROJ_DATUM_WITH_TOWGS84

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue May 22 15:25:27 EDT 2012

Le mardi 22 mai 2012 21:01:26, Margherita Di Leo a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> looks like this bug ticket [1] finds its roots into the gdal code. From a
> discussion [2] in the gfoss.it [3] ML (the italian OSGeo local chapter)
> emerged that gdal 1.8.0 introduced a further option named
> OVERRIDE_PROJ_DATUM_WITH_TOWGS84, allowing to replace the +datum definition
> with a corresponding +towgs84.
> Such option is not supposed to be the default behavior when generating the
> standard EPSG file for Proj4:
>
> epsg_tr.py --config OVERRIDE_PROJ_DATUM_WITH_TOWGS84 FALSE -proj4 -skip
> -list gcs.csv > epsg
>
> Anyway, from direct testing emerged that setting the above mentioned option
> to YES, NO, TRUE or FALSE has absolutely no effect at all; the +datum
> definitions are unconditionally overwritten by +towgs84 in all cases. And,
> accordindgly to this, the EPSG file distributed by the most recent Proj4
> 4.8.0 introduces many unexpected changes (e.g. affecting the Italian Rome
> 1940 SRS), thus causing many troubles due to this abrupt compatibility
> break.

 --config OVERRIDE_PROJ_DATUM_WITH_TOWGS84 FALSE definitely works. I've just
verified it, and I see that the epsg file delivered with proj 4.8.0 takes into
account http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/changeset/2172 . The effect of that is just
to avoid expanding +datum definitions.

Your issue with EPSG:3003 is of a different kind, and related to another change
where the new logic now peaks up the EPSG preferred transformation whereas it
didn't before. I think this is related to
http://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/changeset/1819/ and
http://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/changeset/1829/