[gdal-dev] troubles with OVERRIDE_PROJ_DATUM_WITH_TOWGS84

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 22 18:38:22 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:
> One proposals come from the GFOSS.it community is to consider a couple
> of new fields to characterize the epsg code: an authority code, and
> maybe an internal id for each CRS.
> Having "official" EPSG codes following the EPSG Registry would keep
> Proj4 consitent with a standard de facto. Then we could have other
> "gdal", "gfoss.it", etc. codes derived from the offical EPSG but with
> custom adjustments, like local transformations or whatelse.
> Would it be technically difficult, while maintaining
> retrocompatibility to let applications adopt it or not?

Giovanni,

I'm afraid I don't really follow your point.  Are you wanting to
be able to do something like -t_srs GFOSSIT:3033 ?

Note that you can register coordinate systems with
spatialreference.org and then use those urls with GDAL/OGR
tools if you want something customized.

Keep in mind that some OGC web services are not going
to support such mechanisms in an interoperable way.

> In the meanwhile I will ask the GFOSS.it community to consider the
> opportunity to add a datum_shift_pref.csv row.
>
> The idea of a DATUMSHIT selector would be nice ;)

I'm not too sure if your misspelling is intentional or not,
though it captures how I often feel about datums.