[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr shapefile to mapinfo tab: no SRS.

Frans Knibbe | Geodan frans.knibbe at geodan.nl
Thu May 24 07:05:47 EDT 2012

Hello,

I wonder if someone can help me with a nasty problem with using ogr2ogr
to convert shapefile to Mapinfo tab format. Whatever I try, I can not
get the output to have a correct definition of the SRS. Ogrinfo always
reports the output having a NonEarth SRS.

The input shapefile has a *.prj file. It seems to be ignored by ogr2ogr.
Using the -a_srs option to specify the SRS, either as an EPSG code or as
the name of a file containing the WKT of the projection also fails.

I have tested this with several versions of ogr2ogr. I do not notice any
difference between versions. The latest version of ogr2ogr that I could
find is "GDAL 2.0dev, released 2011/12/29".

A web search on this subject leads to several similar problem
descriptions, but I have not been able to find a solution or even a
workaround.

Regards,
Frans