[gdal-dev] Heads-up re: poppler/pdf on Windows

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri May 25 17:33:19 EDT 2012

Selon Joaquim Luis <jluis at ualg.pt>:

> On 25-05-2012 14:40, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> > Hopefully this helps someone else down the road...
> >
> > - the latest version of Poppler that I am able to get working with GDAL
> > (1.9.1 now) on MSVC (2008) is 0.16.4
> > - 0.20.0 or git master gives errors
> > - example of errors: http://pastebin.com/4YSnSJkn
> >
> > So, stick with 0.16.4 and save yourself a day of testing newer versions.
> >

> Hmm, I have 0.19.0 (it was the SVN version) working but I have restrain
> to rebuild GDAL since I saw the commits saying that one would have to
> update to 0.20 (or so I (mis)understood the commit messages meaning).

0.18.X and 0.20.X are indeed supported, but 0.19.X not. Odd numbered versionss
of poppler are developement versions, whereas even ones are considered stables.
I initially supported 0.19 in the hope of being reading for 0.20 release, but
there was a API break later in the 0.19 development, and because it is
sufficiently enough difficult to autodetect the version of poppler, I decided it
was not worth the effort to go on supporting it and only support 0.20 instead.

(In case someone would want to blame poppler devs, don't. The GDAL PDF driver
uses an internal low-level API of poppler for its needs, so we are bound to
adapt to the changes that sometimes happen there)