[gdal-dev] DDS format and World Wind layer

Florent JITIAUX fjitiaux at gmail.com
Tue May 29 00:45:36 PDT 2012

Hi all,

first I would like to know if the DDS (Direct Draw Surface) format is
planed to be integrated in Gdal. This format is used in World Wind and DDS
tiles are loaded faster than JPEG or PNG tiles.

I would like also to know if it's planed to have the possibility of making
World Wind layers. The World Wind SDK is in Java and I d'on't really know
if to make a World Wind layer in Gdal or others bindings than Java's will
be useful.
In the World Wind SDK there's some class which use Gdal but for for example
it's not possible to read all formats managed by Gdal, their list of
formats seems shorter than Gdal's. And the list of SRS is very short then
it's difficult to warp some Dataset. That's why I prefer to use Gdal to
warp, transform and get tiles.

Thanks.

Florent