[gdal-dev] DGN File with 10 layers recognized in OGR only 1 layer + DGN to SVG converter

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 1 15:18:06 PDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Miroslav Karpis
<miroslav.karpis at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, please can you help me with following:
>
> 1) When I open DGN file which has for example 10 layers,
>  OGRDataSource::GetLayerCont () returns 1. What can be the problem? The
> documentation says that OGR DGN is supporting layers.

Miroslav,

DGN layers are represented as an attribute in the features of the single
OGR layer.  I think the attribute is called LAYER.

Because of the way the dgn file is structured it would be hard to represent
the DGN layers as OGR layers efficiently.  Also, since all features have
the same schema there was relatively little value in keeping them as
distinct layers.

> 2) Does anybody know about an example of conversion from DGN to SVG?

I think MapServer has some sort of SVG support and given that MapServer has
at least some degree of "autostyling" available from OGR DGN it might
capture some of the look and feel of the original DGN.

I doubt this is a well trod route.

warmerdam at pobox.com