[gdal-dev] Trans.: [SpatiaLite-Users] 2013 - technology preview

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Nov 3 11:41:04 PDT 2012

Forwarding here. I'm not sure if I've advertized VirtualOGR properly before.
Sandro does a great job on that !

----- Message transféré de sandro furieri <a.furieri at lqt.it> -----
   Date : Sat, 3 Nov 2012 09:48:10 -0700 (PDT)
     De : sandro furieri <a.furieri at lqt.it>
Adresse de retour :spatialite-users at googlegroups.com
  Sujet : [SpatiaLite-Users] 2013 - technology preview
      À : spatialite-users at googlegroups.com

Hi list,

A nice new, one probably warmly welcome for many of us.
Even Rouault (the maintainer of the GDAL library) during the latest
weeks has implemented VirtualOGR, a loadable extension enabling
SQLite/SpatiaLite to directly connect many external datasources,
this including the most popular Spatial DBMSes (PostGIS, Oracle ..).

Today I'd finally enough free time to perform some preliminary testing;
anyone interested into this topic can read my preliminary report:
https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/libspatialite/wiki?name=VirtualOGR

Please note: VirtualOGR isn't yet officially available: it will be
probably released on December.
Anyway "rogue explorers" could easily perform some preliminary testing
just today; building by yourself few libraries from devel/trunk code
is the only pre-requisite (a trivial task for any Linux user).

happy testing,
Sandro

----- Fin du message transféré -----