[gdal-dev] random crashes upon using ogrinfo or ogr2ogr with FileGDB

Martin Feuchtwanger feumar at shaw.ca
Tue Nov 6 16:25:00 PST 2012

Using GDAL-OGR 1.9.2  (2012-10-08) with the FileGDB add-on (not sure of
the version, but i got it at the same time i got GDAL), there's a random
crash bug upon using ogrinfo or ogr2ogr.
I've tried the following on several different GDB files and there's
almost always a Windows error message:
ogrinfo.exe has stopped working
     A problem caused the program to stop working correctly....
but it's not always at the same time during the processing.

    ogrinfo --debug on -al <gdb_file>
    OGR: OGROpen(<gdb_file>/02DAE9F8) succeeded as FileGDB.
    OGR: GetLayerCount() = <N>

It usually appears here, and no layers are listed, but sometimes they do
get listed

    1: <layer1>     (Multi Line String)
    2: <layer1>     (None)
    :
    N: <layerN>     (Multi Polygon)

before the crash. Sometimes the crash occurs part-way through.
The same crash happens when using ogr2ogr to write a GDB file to Postgres:

    ogr2ogr -overwrite --debug on -f "PostgreSQL" PG:<DB_connection>
    <gdb_file>

     ogr2ogr.xe has stopped working
     A problem caused the program to stop working correctly....

I've seen references to using a patch to make 4GB available (instead of
2GB) for \Program Files (x86)\ programs http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php
but the problem persists even for small GDB files.

I'm guessing it /is /a memory issue, though, because of it's varying
behavior on my machine and, presumably, has not occurred on the
programmer's machine.

BTW, the problem seems quite /independent /of the "Invalid function
arguments." error resulting from the GDB having a non-standard CRS -- it
happens with GDBs having a standard CRS too.

Is it possible the FileGDB driver is broken?

--
Martin Feuchtwangerfeumar at shaw.ca   604-254-0361  Vancouver, BC