[gdal-dev] Which version number for the next GDAL release : 1.10 or 2.0 ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Nov 8 11:03:16 PST 2012

Le jeudi 08 novembre 2012 14:24:12, Etienne Tourigny a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I think it should be 1.10, I don't see any major difference with 1.9
> and no major api changes. I see it more like an incremental release
> than a major milestone.

Yes, exactly

> I recall some time ago a discussion about the unification of ogr and
> gdal, and that goal still seems pretty far (unless I missed
> something).

Yes, that's something I believe Frank has in mind from a long time.

> How much of the items listed in the following page have been implemented?
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GDAL20Changes

None AFAIK

> Let's say you release 2.0 now, and within 1 year there are significant
> API breaks, would that require a new 3.0 version ?

Yes, likely. But a 3.0 would not be a problem per se however (even if it would
be strange that in one year there would be two major versions whereas there
was only one in more than 10 years ;-))

What disturbs be more is that a 2.0 without API breaks doesn't respect the
usual logic for version numbering and the expectations that users would tend
to have. Or if we do this, then it means that the version number wouldn't
particularly reflect API breakage and then we should just release GDAL 2, GDAL
3, GDAL 4, etc...