[gdal-dev] Images/datasets with bands with different properties

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Nov 9 02:31:12 PST 2012

David Strip <gdal <at> stripfamily.net> writes:

> Likewise, the bands apparently can have different size rasters (in terms
> of pixel counts), since the raster size is a property of the band. On
> the other hand, the dataset also has a raster size, as well as the
> overall properties of the raster, such as the geo-location of the origin
> and the size of the pixels. If the band doesn't match the dataset
> properties, what do we know about origin, pixel size, etc? If these
> situations don't exist in real datasets, then I'm not particularly
> concerned. In fact, I'd be happiest if someone could tell me to just
> ignore these issues because they don't happen in real life.

I converted once a whole bunch of 7-band Landsat images into JPEG2000 with
Kakadu by preserving the native resolution of the bands (15 meters for
panchromatic, 30 m for thematic bands, 60 m for thermal band). I thought it was
a brilliant idea but I found no way to utilize those JPEG2000 images with any
software I tried. Finally I had to separate panchromatic bands to separate files
and oversample the thermal band to suit together with thematic bands. So I think
that issues are not common in real life because it does not make sense to create
such datasets if there are no tools for handling them. It would still be worth
thinking how they could be handled, satellite data containing bands with
different resolutions  being the first use case.

-Jukka Rahkonen-