[gdal-dev] Motion: Release next major GDAL version as GDAL/OGR 1.10

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Nov 9 12:10:29 PST 2012

Motion: The next major GDAL version released from trunk will be called
GDAL/OGR 1.10.

To take into account 2-figure numbers in the components of the version number,
the GDAL_VERSION_NUM macro will be changed accordingly as :

#  define GDAL_VERSION_NUM
(GDAL_VERSION_MAJOR*1000000+GDAL_VERSION_MINOR*10000+GDAL_VERSION_REV*100+GDAL_VERSION_BUILD)

A new macro will be added so that users don't have to do all the above
multiplications :

#define GDAL_COMPUTE_VERSION(maj,min,rev)
(maj*1000000+min*10000+rev*100)

(Note: as raised by Mateusz, I've dropped the 'build' argument in the macro,
since it has never been used in the past and it is unlikely code would depend
on that)

----

Hi,

Not surprisingly when it is related to preferences on version numbering, the
previous discussion thread has not lead to a clear consensus on the topic, but
we need to make a decision soon so that users can anticipate the adaptations
needed in their code.

1.10 seems the more logical option to me, even if that implies changing the
way we compute GDAL_VERSION_NUM, which I don't anticipate to cause problems to
existing code. There are also a few existing documentation pages in drivers or
utilities that mention GDAL 2.0 that will need to be changed, but I'll take
care of this if the motion is approved (some sed magic should do this).

+1 Even