[gdal-dev] Which version number for the next GDAL release : 1.10 or 2.0 ?

Ben Discoe ben at vterrain.org
Sun Nov 11 11:00:37 PST 2012

+1 to everything Ragi said.

Version "numbering" like "1.10" is an affront to common sense and the basic
concept of the decimal system, not to mention every OS's filename sorting.
If 1.10 comes after 1.9, then it would be imperative to replace the
misleading decimal points (which are, apparently, NOT decimal points) with
some other punctuation (like 1-9, 1-10) to avoid confusion on precedence,
and even that doesn't address the sorting mess.

Enough changes have occurred since 1.0 (I know, since I was in fact using
GDAL then).
Please just call it 2.0 now.

-Ben