[gdal-dev] "reboxing," or 3D regridding

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Wed Nov 14 04:47:20 PST 2012

Tom,
Would the GRASS 3D Raster (Voxel) functions meet your needs?

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/raster3D.html

Doug

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com> wrote:

> summary: I'd appreciate advice regarding tools and methods for
> transforming values from an unprojected global 3D spatial grid to a
> projected 3D grid with different horizontal and vertical resolution, or
> pointers to other resources to consult.
>
> details:
>
> I have output from a global atmospheric model that I'd like to use as
> initial and boundary conditions for a regional model. The global input
> netCDF has dimensions=2.5° lon x 1.875° lat x 56 vertical levels. The
> regional model runs over North America using a 12-km grid projected
> Lambert Comformal Conic (LCC), with 34 vertical levels. Since its top
> height is less than that of the global input, the extents of the output
> domain are fully contained within the input domain.
>
> Each box or voxel defined by the global input grid contains an estimate
> for the N2O concentration for that volume. From those I want to compute
> the concentrations for each output gridbox volume. I'd appreciate your
> recommendations for tools that can handle this usecase. Particularly, is
> this something that gdalwarp can do?
>
> FWIW, the best tool I've seen so far is R package=gstat, but (IIUC)
>
> - gstat expects projected input. I'm not sure if I can work around that
>   for this usecase.
>
> - as the name implies, 'gstat' is doing geostatistics, e.g., variogram-
>   and covariance-based modeling. I'm not sure either how to setup the
>   distance weighting for my scenario, and, frankly, I remain unconvinced
>   that a statistical approach is necessary for this application (though
>   it may be a sufficient or the best-available approach). This may be
>   due to my statistical ignorance, however.
>
> your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.