[gdal-dev] GDALCreateCopy from MEM Driver

Robert Zermeno refriguy68 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 11:49:28 PST 2012

GDAL community,

Is is plausible to contain a RGB image array (as pixel interleaved, rgbrgbrgbrgb) in a single MEMRasterBand to generate a color file via GDALCreateCopy()?
My application performs the following sequence:

1. Read a color image into an image buffer in pixel interleaved (rgbrgbrgb) format.
2. Setup MEM Driver to contain the recently read in image from step 1 above via AddBand().
3. Call GDALCreateCopy() on the specific output of my desire.

I have a question on Step 2 above (AddBand()).  Do I have to create 3 seperate bands to contain individual color component?  That would mean I have to take my RGB image buffer and seperate it into three new arrays of size (imageWidth * imageHeight) and call AddBands() on each one.

I am trying to adviod that step as I find it as an extra step.  However, I understand if I have to because for a given color image GDAL always represents the file with 3 or 4 bands.

My answer is I will probably have to.  My application can write out a valid file, but the resulting file is in Greyscale.

Robert