[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr & gdalinfo both crashing on 64-bit Windows 7, very little info available

cheesybiscuits thomaschristian at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 15:08:20 PST 2012

When I run ogr2ogr or gdalinfo (and maybe other tools, I've never used the
others) I always get a crash. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and gdal 1.9.2. The
only information I get from Windows Event Viewer looks like this:

ogr2ogr.exe
0.0.0.0
50981d19
ntdll.dll
6.1.7601.17725
4ec49b8f
c0000374
000ce6c3
544
01cdc9024472ef70
c:\OSGeo4W\bin\ogr2ogr.exe
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
84cba12d-34f5-11e2-8214-002713b231b3

As you can see I'm on a 64-bit system. I assume this is part of the problem
somehow.

gdalinfo --formats lists some formats and then crashes. I don't know if it
crashes before listing all formats or after they're all displayed. ogr2ogr
crashes before generating any output. Both commands have been run as both
regular user and administrator with no difference.

I put c:\OSGeo4W\bin at the beginning of the PATH, and I am executing my
command from the 32-bit CMD prompt, but based on the error report I think
some part of the process is calling 64-bit ntdll.dll.

It might be relevant - I also installed gdal Oracle support. I'm fairly
confident this is working as the first time I ran ogr2ogr it complained my
TNS entry didn't exist. After I updated the TNS it stopped complaining (then
crashed). If I was only seeing crashes in ogr2ogr I'd assume there was an
issue with Oracle or my SQL, but gdalinfo is also having problems.

This is my ogr2ogr command: ogr2ogr -f "CSV" c:\users\me\Desktop\test.csv
OCI:user/pass at tnsname -sql "select id from table"

Any thoughts or suggestions very much appreciated. I thought maybe I could
pass an argument telling the entire process to run as 32-bit but Google
isn't giving up the goods.