[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr & gdalinfo both crashing on 64-bit Windows 7, very little info available

Peter Halls p.halls at york.ac.uk
Sun Nov 25 23:57:31 PST 2012

Thomas,

On 24 November 2012 01:09, cheesybiscuits <thomaschristian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ivan, thanks for the suggestions.
>
> The Oracle client is 32 bit, and as you noted GDAL is also 32 bit.

I think you would get different errors if you were trying to run a
mixed 32bit / 64bit environment as this is not allowed by Windows.

> The OSGeo4W bin and lib directories are both at the beginning of the path,
> before the Oracle directories.

As you are concerned with Windows, rather than Unix / Linux, this may
not be relevant, however, it can sometimes help to repeat libraries in
the search path if there are interdependencies.  This is usually
indicated by a missing module that is contained in a library towards
the beginning of the search path.

> It might not be relevant but I have an Oracle 11.2 Oracle client talking to
> a 10.2 instance.

This is documented by Oracle as supported.  The 11.2 client cannot
interwork with Oracle 8, but can with 9, 10 and 11.

> I'm trying to avoid compiling GDAL from source on Windows as 1) I'm not
> familiar enough with the process and 2) I've already lost several hours
> trying to compile OCI support into a Linux build of GDAL for a separate
> project and I know how painful this can be.

I do not know why OCI support should be so difficult to build in, but it is!

Best wishes,

Peter

> --

Peter J Halls, GIS Advisor & Team Leader Applications Support and Training,
               Information Directorate, University of York
Telephone: 01904 323806     Fax: 01904 323740
Snail mail: Harry Fairhurst Building, University of York,
                Heslington, York YO10 5DD
This message has the status of a private and personal communication