[gdal-dev] How to add alpha channel to tiff image - C++ code

mighty_duck msiljegovic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:11:43 PDT 2012

Hi Even,

thanks for your quick reply and explanation. I would kindly ask you for more
help, since I'm just trying to adapt this code quickly while still learning
all those concepts...

If I understood you well, those are changes:

hDstDS = GDALCreate(driver, output.c_str(), resX, resY,
                        4, GDALGetRasterDataType(GDALGetRasterBand(hSrcDS,
1)),
                        compressOption);

for (int i = 0; i < GDALGetRasterCount(hSrcDS); ++i)
    {
        GDALRasterBandH hSrcBand = GDALGetRasterBand(hSrcDS, i + 1);
        GDALRasterBandH hDstBand = GDALGetRasterBand(hDstDS, i + 1);

        GDALColorTableH cTable = GDALGetRasterColorTable(hSrcBand);
                GDALSetRasterColorInterpretation(hDstBand,
GDALGetRasterColorInterpretation(hSrcBand));
        if (cTable)
        {
            GDALSetRasterColorTable(hDstBand, cTable);
        }

        //remove code below????

        int success;
        double noData = GDALGetRasterNoDataValue(hSrcBand, &success);

        if (success)
        {

            GDALSetRasterNoDataValue(hDstBand, noData);
        }
        else if (zeroAsTransparent)
        {
            GDALSetRasterNoDataValue(hDstBand, 0);
        }
    }

//edit only alpha channel here...if so what do you mean by that, what
methods to use??

Thanks for understanding.