[gdal-dev] [update] Re: Travis CI continuous integration service for GDAL

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Oct 10 12:24:11 PDT 2012

Le mercredi 10 octobre 2012 15:48:48, Etienne Tourigny a écrit :
> IMHO git (with github) is a great platform for collaboration.  You
> might find yourself swamped with pull requests though...

I'd be curious to know if the current use of SVN really deters people from
contributing to GDAL, whereas they would contribute more actively if GIT was
used as the prime VCS (*).

My feeling is that the main barrier to contribution lies more in understanding
how the source works rather than the tools around.

Anyway, whatever the VCS, as you underlined, you still need competent eyes to
review, comment on, fix by themselves the patch or ask the contributor to do
changes, apply, or reject patches... Trac has already such patches waiting.

But as a SVN committer, my opinion is obviously biased since contributing is
of course more straighforward than for a non-GDAL committer. GIT has certainly
a more egalitarian approach (everyone can commit or fork), although that
someone that hasn't push rights can only send pull requests to the main
repository.

My knowledge of GIT is rather limited, but, for a GDAL contributor without
commit (SVN)/push(GIT) rights to the main repository, what improvements would
a full move to GIT would offer with respect to the current git-svn mirroring ?

Best regards,

Even

(*) What would be interesting to know also is : wouldn't a move to GIT deter
current GDAL contributors ?