[gdal-dev] Open Source GIS Raster Viewer

Antonio Valentino antonio.valentino at tiscali.it
Sat Oct 13 23:34:13 PDT 2012

Hi Kishore,

Il giorno 12/ott/2012, alle ore 14:52, kishore Borra <kishoreborra at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Hi All,
>
> we are implementing support of elevation processing of various raster images in a standalone desktop Viewer using opensource.

I'm very interested, is it an opensoirce project? URL?

> we are using GDAL library to support performing various operations like hillshade, slope, aspect map & color coded relief.
>
> I would like to know your suggestions on what opensource control can be used as a map control so that I can load various type of processed raster images into it. I need to provide the user with the coordinates readout information and standard zoom In, zoom out & zoom By area operations.
>
> I should also be able to read the elevation info from the displayed raster and display the same in the status bar.
>

> Please suggest.
>
> Regards,
> Kishore.

If my understanding is correct your is not a 3D viewer, isn't it?

In one of my projects [1] i used the Qt Graphics View Framework from python.
It is not a specific control for maps but worked well for me.

If you need a more advanced component you could give a try to the Marble Widget [3].
Personally I have still never used it in one of my projects but it seems to be very powerful.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/gsdview/
[2] http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/graphicsview.html
[3] http://edu.kde.org/marble/

best regards