[gdal-dev] New OGR driver to read OpenStreetMap .osm / .pbf files

Frank Broniewski brfr at metrico.lu
Wed Oct 17 02:05:57 PDT 2012

Hi Even,

I need to reinstall my OSM database due to the license change to ODBL.
Usually I use osm2pgsql for that, but I am willing to sacrifice a little
downtime of my DB in order to test the GDAL implementation. Before
storming ahead I wanted to know how far you are with the driver
implementation - is there anything I need to be aware of? Are you
interested at all in a benchmark comparison between GDAL and osm2pgsql?
I'll be using the planet file, so thinks will take a while ...

Frank

Am 2012-07-10 19:23, schrieb Even Rouault:
> Hi,
>
> Following the recent brainstorming with Jukka, I've pushed into trunk a driver
> to read OpenStreetMap .osm / .pbf files .
>
> No particularly exotic dependencies : SQLite (and Expat for OSM XML files)
>
> See http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_osm.html for the details (will be available in
> a few hours).
>
> The performance to convert
> http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/finland.osm.pbf into a Spatialite DB is
> the following one on my PC (Core i5 @ 2.67 GHz with 64bit GDAL) :
>
> $ time ogr2ogr finland.sqlite finland.osm.pbf -f SQLite -dsco SPATIALITE=YES -gt
> 10000 -progress --config OGR_SQLITE_SYNCHRONOUS OFF
>
> real    4m31.194s
> user    3m33.020s
> sys 0m46.070s
>
> Testing with larger areas, like whole France or Europe, shows sluggish
> performance when ways are built from nodes, but that's perhaps expected. I
> didn't compare with other tools to know if the indexing or request strategy is
> particularly bad.
>
> The data/osmconf.ini configuration file is pretty basic and its settings could
> likely be improved with some tweaking. Contributions welcome.
>
> An improved version of the driver could allow specifying custom layers,
> instead of the 4 fixed ones.
>
> Happy testing,
>
> Even

Frank BRONIEWSKI