[gdal-dev] Having problems reading a GRIB2 file with GDAL driver

Rick Wayne fewayne at wisc.edu
Tue Oct 23 12:30:25 PDT 2012

Hello all,

I am striving to process and publish some raster data which arrive in grib2 format. That format is of course supported by GDAL, but the particular files I'm getting from my data provider irritate the driver, which complains:

Warning: Inside GRIB2Inventory, Message # 2
ERROR: Couldn't find 'GRIB' or 'TDLP'
There were 4 trailing bytes in the file.

I get this with gdalinfo, raster2pgsql, gdal_retile.py, all that stuff. And yet the GRIB-centric tools gobble up this file with nary a hiccup, e.g. wgrib2 extracts data from it just fine.

Any GRIBmasters out there that know of a common problem like this, and how I might go about processing the files to fix them? Convert to NetCDF first, perhaps? There is some question as to whether GRIB support is configured on this system, I'm not sure how to determine that (or if I'd have to build it from source, IIRC this system has GDAL via Ubuntu packages).

If you'd like to see the file itself, I put it at http://www.soils.wisc.edu/~wayne/test.grib2.

TIA!

Rick Wayne
Sr. Systems Programmer