[gdal-dev] Possible new GDAL driver (funded work) for mapserver access?

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed Oct 31 11:12:07 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm exploring the possibility of a GDAL driver for TIDEDA datasets. For a description of TIDEDA, see: http://www.niwa.co.nz/software/tideda-time-dependent-data

Briefly, it is a tool for managing timeseries data from sources like climate & hydrometric stations. NIWA is considering Open Sourcing the tool, and enabling interoperability with other Open Source tools & supporting data delivery via web services (ie: via GDAL & mapserver) seems like a very useful step (whether or not we do open up the codebase - it will be useful to the users).

The preferred (& obvious) web services to use are OGC:SOS & OGC:WCS (WCS as a 1D time series). From a client perspective I'd like to use WFS as the site/station discovery service, then drill down to the data from the sites with SOS/WCS.

Superficially at least, it seems that a GDAL/mapserver combination is well suited to this task.

Can anyone here comment on how realistic this might be?

Any developers interested in undertaking the work required - initially a GDAL driver talking to the TIDEDA api?

Is the WCS & SOS support in mapserver able to support 1D timeseries data?

Does anyone know of a CWS client that supports 1D timeseries content?

Thanks,

   Brent Wood