[gdal-dev] DBF file associated with Raster

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Sep 6 23:39:27 PDT 2012

> Another possibility is that the GDAL PAMDataset could store RAT in
> auxiliary xml files, so you can keep the raster data as it is. The
> problem is that you would need to convert the content of your DBF to the
> PAMDataset schema.
>
> Does it makes sense Even?

Yes, I was also thinking to some sort of Raster Attribute Table, but didn't want
to pronounce such a "big word" without more information ;-)

If it is some kind of RAT, it might be possible to convert it to the PAM format,
but as there's no tool to do that, that needs some scripting skills. And I'm not
sure that many tools make actual use of GDAL RAT, so the usefulness might be
limited. Depending on the intended usage, it might be sufficient to deal with
the raster and the vector separately : for example, opening the DBF as an
attribute table in QGIS and using the picking tool of QGIS to read the value of
a pixel, and making the correlation manually.