[gdal-dev] How to cut a Raster map with a KML file

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Sep 11 12:18:23 PDT 2012

Luis,
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Luis Lisboa <luislisboa1975 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Eli
> Probably I was not clear: When I use this it outputs a geotiff with two
> bands: 1 with the real data and another one with the mask of the pixels that
> fall inside each polygon. I just want to have an output file with one band
> (band 1) and without the mask. Is it possible?

Sometime images can clean up just be running them through
gdal_translate.  -ot or -b or -mask or some combination may
additionally be needed.  http://gdal.org/gdal_translate.html  Does
gdal_translate on your file collapse the mask band into a single band
with no data values?

rgb2pct.py can be used to convert RGB/RGBA to single band with a color
table.  I'm not sure if it would work with a two band image, one being
the mask but you can try it and see what it does.

HTH, Eli