[gdal-dev] GDAL / Java bindings : undefined symbol: _ZTVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE in libgdal.so.1

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Sep 24 00:20:39 PDT 2012

Selon Hendy Sumanto <hsumanto at vpac.org>:

> Hi Even,
>
> I finally found the cause of the issue.
>
> If I build the 1.9 branch from https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/branches/1.9/gdal
> it builds OK and printing shared libraries (such as ldd -d -r libgdal.so or
> ldd -d -r libgdaljni.so) are OK too.
>
> If I build the latest trunk from https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/
> it builds OK but printing shared libraries (such as ldd -d -r libgdal.so or
> ldd -d -r libgdaljni.so) are having undefined symbol issues below.
>
> So obviously something is broken in the latest trunk but not sure what.

That's interesting, but I'm not sure why you see such a difference. On my own
setup, both GDAL versions produce working Java bindings.

>From an internet search, I see the "undefined symbol:
_ZTVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE" error message is the symptom of a
missing link to libstdc++, and indeed in the ldd trace you gave, there's no such
sign of libstdc++, which is weird.

0/ What is your Linux distro ?
1/ Could you check if libstdc++ appears on the ldd of libgdal.so of the 1.9
branch ?
2/ Have you compiled the both branches with the same ./configure options ? Could
you make a diff between the output of ldd of both libgdal.so to confirm that ?
3/ In your trunk checkout, you could try editing GDALmake.opt (after ./configure
stage), and manually add -lstdc++ on the "LIBS = xxxx" line, and check if that
works better. However that shouldn't be necessary.