[gdal-dev] how to create an image with a colortable?

Samantha Goodchild-Brown samanthag at geograph.co.za
Wed Sep 26 03:58:42 PDT 2012

After using gdal info to confirm my input image is a greyscale, using
the FAQRaster intructions I used gdal_translate to create a VRT.
I then opened it in crimson editor to edit the colorinterp and add in
the colortable. I used

<ColorInterp>Palette</ColorInterp>
<ColorTable>
        <11 c1="181" c2="69"  c3="15"/>
        <12 c1="224"  c2="86"  c3="20"/>
        <13 c1="229"  c2="130"  c3="21"/>

AHA, I see my first error. I forgot to add the '/' to close the
paragraph. I am VERY RUSTY at this.

Gdal was complaining about not being able to close the file and refering
me to </VRTRasterBand> and
</VRTDataset> which confused me greatly as I didn't touch it at all.

Now it runs, but fails because it tells me my datatype is not compatiable.
This is a different issue I will take up separately as I expect has
nothing to do with GDAL.

Many thanks. Will keep at it.