[gdal-dev] R: Re: MODIS reprojection

Rutger kassies at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 05:27:33 PDT 2013

Hey Laura,

The coordinates you found seem to be geographic (latitude/longitude), not
sinusoidal.

The MOD03 file is still unprojected, sometimes referred to as a swath or
granule. It contains the original sensor scans which dont yet have a defined
projection. It should be used only with other, lower level, swath products
like the MOD02HKM, MOD02QKM etc. I cant be used together with your MxD14A2
product.

The table on this website shows the 'raster type' for most MODIS Land
products:
https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/products/modis_products_table

Your higher level product is already projected (Sinusoidal tiles). I have
downloaded a MYD14A2 hdf and somewhere (with gdalinfo towards the end) there
should be two tags like:

UpperLeftPointMtrs=(1111950.519667,5559752.598333)
LowerRightMtrs=(2223901.039333,4447802.078667)

These are for tile h19v04. If you mention which tile you are using, or point
me to a file (on ftp://e4ftl01.cr.usgs.gov/MOLA/MYD14A2.005/), i wouldnt
mind looking it up for you. Although for your own confidence it would good
if you can replicate it yourself.

Let me know how it works out.

Regards,
Rutger