[gdal-dev] GetGeoTransform() valid?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 23 17:07:54 PDT 2013

Wim,

I have remove the comment you quoted.  It is from the distant past.  What
you should understand is that this isn't the *only* way to express
georeferencing for GDAL images.  You can also use Ground Control Points,
RPCs and geolocation arrays.  However GeoTransforms are the most common way
and sufficient for many situations.

Is the relationship between your images and geographic (lat/long)
coordinate space affine?  If so, a geotransform will do just fine.  (ie. is
the pixel spacing uniform over the image in terms of decimal degrees)

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com