[gdal-dev] GDAL bindings for Java

Victor Gonzalez victor.gonzalez at geomati.co
Fri Aug 16 03:43:35 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm Víctor and I'm currently a developer for the gvSIG CE project [1],
which uses GDAL with a specific configuration [2] since long time ago for
raster data access.

Recently, one of our developments has been to implement SQLite data access
via OGR and to replace our previous custom Java bindings with the GDAL/OGR
official ones [3]. Thus, I had to compile GDAL and the Java bindings for
both Linux and Windows (using MinGW). On Linux it was easy and pretty
straightforward, but on Windows I had some troubles with the bindings.
Finally I managed to compile them successfully, but I had to add some steps
to your instructions [4], which are documented in the gvSIG CE wiki [5].

Finally, I also wanted to say that I couldn't use the pre-compiled binaries
from here [6]. I got UnsatisfiedLinkErrors and virtual machine crashes,
depending on the package I downloaded and my environment variables, so I
couldn't make it work.

I just wanted to share my experience. Maybe those problems are not specific
to my configuration/computer/whatever and some other people have the same
problems so you might want to update the doc. Or maybe some people can make
use of my compiled binaries. In any case, corrections, comments and ideas
are more than welcome.

Best regards,
Víctor.

-----